Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Coffee Quirk

I admit it, I'm a little quirky... some find it endearing while others, I presume, find it thoroughly annoying.

This morning as I sat sipping coffee, I realized that I have a coffee quirk.

The M mug I had in hand is new and I love it. No, really, I LOVE it. It's the perfect size, shape and weight for a coffee mug. It has a flower-vine filled letter M on it (you know... for, ummmmm... your Majesty) but the best part is that inside of it are the words "love the moment". I think that applies to the way I live my life in general but the fact is, I always specifically love the moments when I have a good cup of coffee in hand.

I am not a caffeine addict by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I'm just as happy having decaf as I am full lead in the morning. For me, coffee is an experience that starts well before the first touch of coffee cup to lips. It's the sound of the coffee maker gurgling to life, the smell of fresh brewed java creeping up the staircase before I'm even out of bed. It's the beauty of the morning stillness through the picture window or from atop the deck, it's the quiet time I spend thinking about the day ahead.

I'm so invested in the coffee moment that no matter what, I have to have my first few sips of coffee out of a real, honest to goodness mug in the comfort of my kitchen. Even if I'm in a hurry and plan to take a travel mug with me, I still pour the coffee into a mug, savor the smell, taste and place, drink a little, then transfer it into the traveler. If I don't have time for that I will actually opt out of coffee from home... but might just stop at Starbucks... for apparently if someone else makes it, I'm OK with cardboard.

So yes, I am a little quirky when it comes to coffee drinking but I do, in fact, love the moment.

No comments: