Saturday, November 8, 2008

Things That Go Bump in the Burbs

I saw an old friend at the gym the other day. She asked me if I still lived in the neighborhood because it's really been forever since we'd seen each other. Made me get to thinkin'...

In keeping with my non-conformist badself, I don't like to hang out with all the other hens in the subdivision. I enjoy socializing, but I don't really like to go to parties where I'm expected to buy things like candles, pottery, baskets, jewelry or purses. I also don't really have the patience to listen to them complain about the men they've chosen to suck the life out of. I mean that in the nicest way.

Now when I first moved here and knew not a soul, I confess, I was happy to be included in each and every social activity... from Bunko to Pottery Painting to Patty Cakes parties and more. It's just that I've evolved since then. I think that means I'm getting old, but I'm not exactly sure.

Every single time I watch
this, it makes me laugh. It's remarkably spot on. It reminds me of who I was when I first arrived on this scene and who I am now, seven years later... and it reminds me that no matter how old I get, I gotta keep it real, not get all gangsta with my parking, enjoy some Corona Lights with lime (well, in my case, it's Blue Moon with orange), and, every once in awhile, enjoy visiting with an old friend or two or thirty.

No comments: